The Chubby Light Bulb

>>  Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Chubby Light Bulb
As a nation, we've been growing towards energy efficient machines and bulbs to help conserve energy, save us money and most importantly, save the environment. Lowering your utility bills means keeping more money in your bank account, and who wouldn't want that? Making simple changes throughout your house could seriously change the amount of energy you use at home. Here's a list of six easy ways to save energy and money.

Turn off unneeded lights

Growing up, you may remember your father nagging you to always turn the light off in your room when you weren't in there. When you thought he was just being annoying, he was really just trying to teach you how to conserve energy and in turn, save him money on utilities. Lighting is responsible for about eleven percent of a home's energy bills and by turning off the lights that you aren't using, you'll be saving electricity as well as extending the lifetime of the bulbs.

Switch out old lights

Unless you live under a rock, you've heard over the past few years the importance of switching out your old incandescent light bulbs for compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). CFLs are known for their energy savings, using around 75 percent less energy than your standard incandescent and they last much longer. These bulbs come in all shapes and sizes, so don't think just because you have a unique lamp or unusual light fixture that these bulbs won't fit

Install a programmable thermostat

Programmable thermostats help save you money by automatically adjusting your home's temperature based on the schedule you set. For example, when you're home you can have it programmed to be a comfortable temperature but when you're not home, it can be set on low since no one's there. A programmable thermostat could actually save you as much as 15 percent on your heating and cooling costs.

Turn off your computer at night

Having your computer on all the time may be convenient, but it's not good for your utility bill or for the environment. Turning off your computer when you're not using it, such as overnight, is a great way to save energy since you know you won't be using it during that time. Turning off your computer will also reduce wear and tear on your hardware, which will in turn extend its life.

Make windows more efficient

Sealing windows can only do so much, since window glass is such a thin barrier against the cold outdoor temperatures. Installing new storm windows in your home can help reduce temperature loss by sealing any leaks and creating a dead airspace between window panes. While this is an expensive investment, the ROI is relatively short and it's well worth it.

Conserve water

Water is something a lot of us overlook since it's a natural resource. The truth is, we still have to pay for it, especially when it's heated. If you use less water overall, your water bill will be lower and if you use less hot water, this will lower your gas bill or electricity bill, depending on how your water is heated. This change is simple, just take shorter showers. It's also not difficult to reach for the faucet when brushing your teeth or washing dishes and turning off the water when you're not using it. These changes are easy to make and you'll be amazed to see the difference in your bill afterwards.

Your utility bills don't have to be high and you can be saving money by taking advantage of some of the tips listed above. The best part about these changes is that you won't only be saving money, you'll also be saving the environment, and that's a very important action.

Janelle Rivera has a strong passion for protecting the planet. She has taken the extra step to help build awareness for going green. She is even researching llm environmental law to learn more about saving the environment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 comments :

tatess November 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I have problems with my lights in the house. Ang daming bulb in one switch ng ilaw at chandellier, kaya off palagi and we use the lampsahde na lang or the light near the door or else ang taas ng koryente. We reall need to save.

Prettymom November 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

we should help each other to take care of our nature and mother earth

Chubskulit Rose November 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Lights and water are always the things thAT i have to keep reminding my kids, they always forget so I have to do it most often.

Chie Wilks November 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

It is my first time to hear about programmable thermostat. doing all these mentioned indeed help lowering the utility bills

Chie

Bless November 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I would say we too have a lot of bulbs in the house. Good thing though that those bulbs are energy efficient. But one thing I am guilty of is not turning off, totally, the computer at night. I need to change it.

Jerla Oh lalala November 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM

thanks for the great info and tips. that's the kind of bulb we have too. they are more efficient when it comes to energy saving

Mald|taH November 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM

saving energy does not only save us money, it save more energy consumption in totality and it can decrease the possibility of blackouts because there won't be much demand if we all do our part to conserve.

I always see to it that unneeded lights are turned off, and those fans! geeezz! it's something I always have to remind my boys with as they often leave it on though they are not in their room. Thanks for these tips sis! :)

purethoughts November 20, 2012 at 1:53 AM

we just repainted our walls because it's so dark, we had to turn on the lights everytime. I love the light blue shade now, makes the room so much brighter we can conserve energy and save on costs. Thanks for these helpful tips!

Teresa Martinez November 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM

We really do need to save especially in household use where we have better control.

Peachy Adarne November 20, 2012 at 4:48 AM

I am teaching my daughter about saving electricity and when she wakes up each morning she turns the lamp and the electric fan off..

Ane November 20, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I am one stingy person, LOL, so you can be sure that anything energy saving, I've got in my house, even if installation can be expensive, because in the long run, I would've saved more. :P We also don't switch on the lights until it gets dark, we have huge windows, so we get a lot of natural light, and we also use CFL lights, I think they're much brighter as well as cost efficient. :D

Great useful tips you have pointed out there. :)

working mama November 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

it will absolutely help lessen the utility bills if we conserve water and energy

momgen November 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Oh lights is the problem in our house too because my little boy keeps on and off the light and opening ref that cost money for our electric bills.

Momgen Reviews

Adin B November 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I am for saving and conserving energy. The new house that we are living in is new and are well insulated. Definitely is wonderful when the house is well insulated. Gotta save up some money as much as we can. :) Thanks for sharing!

Kaye Figuracion November 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM

This is a great reminder for a mom like me. Electricity and water conservation are both essential in a household. Whatever amount, whether small or huge, it can still add to family's savings which can further be used for leisure.

I hope you can have a name/url portion in your comment box.

Shela November 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I appreciate your tips momi! That's what we need these days!

United States November 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM

thanks for sharing these great tips momi joy !...